Genesee County Road Projects Starting Soon Include Belsay + Richfield
The roads in Flint and Genesee County may resemble the treacherous path to Mordor currently, but there are multiple large projects on the books for this spring/summer that will hopefully make your drive more enjoyable… in the fall.
Several of the roads set to be dealt with during this year’s construction have been in dire need of repair for far too long. Most notably — Belsay Road between Court Street and Davison Road in Burton.
The inside southbound lane of Belsay Rd immediately after the railroad tracks and all the way to Davison is one I’m forced to travel daily. I’d be willing to say it is the worst stretch of road in the county. This hellscape actually made it to #3 on our list of the worst roads in the area. Here we are 3 years later and it has yet to be repaired. They’ve been shoveling asphalt into those craters for years and it’s finally about to be given a proper fix. Woohoo!
According to the Flint-Genesee County Transportation Improvement Program Schedule for 2014, Belsay is getting a $336,000 road reconstruction in that one area. Richfield Rd is another constant pain in my ass that will be getting a makeover. Among the more pricey projects listed are :
- Lapeer Rd (Belsay to Vassar) — Resurface — $1,511,000
- South Leroy St (Elizabeth to Caroline) — Reconstruct — $1,425,000
- Saginaw St (Hill to Maple) — Resurface — $1,816,000
- Richfield Rd (Genesee to Belsay) — Resurface — $1,119,000
- I-69 (Center to I-475) — Combination Freeway Lighting — $3,622,000
- I-75 (Oakland Co. Line to I-475 N) — Resurface — $12,569,000
- I-69 (M54 to Center) — Reconstruct — $15,049,000
- I-69 (over CSX RR and Averill) — Restore/Rehab — $5,666,000
The list spans from 2014-2017 and there are a lot of the same projects listed year over year. Honestly, it’s a little tough to follow. You can check the full schedule of road projects on the books for 2014 and beyond by clicking the link below.