WNEM TV 5

Doctors are warning parents about these popular DIY projects for kids after a young girl received burns from an ingredient used to make the home made 'slime'. A lot of times these have been science projects for school but as of lately kids and parents have been doing it as a fun at home project.

Kathleen Quinn from Massachusetts is recovering from second and third-degree burns on her hands from prolonged exposure to Borax, one of the main ingredients in homemade slime.

I'm surprised we haven't heard of more cases like this with it becoming such a popular activity for families. I mean there have been some cases reported but from what I understand, some recipes call for corn starch or liquid starch, instead of Boric acid. So I would highly suggest going that route so your kids hands don't end up covered in blisters.

Source: WNEM