Michigan Ice Rink to Open This Friday
Due to intermittent public health restrictions on ice rink open skating, the UM-Flint outdoor skating rink will remain closed for the 2020-2021 winter season. This doesn't mean you don't have other options though when it comes to outdoor skating.
If you don't mind the drive, you can always shoot over to the west side of the state for some fun at Rosa Parks Circle in downtown Grand Rapids. Their plan is to open the season this Friday, December 18 through February 21st.
Earlier today they announced some changes to the season due to the ongoing pandemic:
- Instead of walk-ups, skaters need to reserve one-hour blocks of skating time. This hour includes checking in, changing into skates, skating, and returning skates.
- Admission is $2, free skate rental included
- Reservations can be made up to two weeks in advance. You can reserve a skate time online at the link below or over the phone at 616.456.3696, option 1.
- A maximum of 25 skaters will be allowed on the rink at one time
- Skates will be sanitized after each use and hand sanitizer stations will be on site.
- A face mask will be required at all times for visitor and skaters.
It's a bit of a drive just to go ice skating but at the moment, you don't have a lot of options to do anything in the state. I would have to imagine Rosa Parks Circle gets pretty busy when there isn't a pandemic, so it's a good thing you can reserve you time on the ice in advance.