Security Guard at Oxford Middle School Accidentally Fires Gun
As if Oxford students haven't been on edge enough already this year, now this.
Even though it was an accident, an Oxford Middle School security guard has been put on leave after his gun accidentally fired in a school bathroom.
Luckily there weren't any students around when the gun went off and no one was injured.
If any of those students had heard that gun go off, they would have been terrified, especially after enduring the Oxford High School shooting that took place nearly a year ago. However, according to Fox 2 Detroit, no one heard it.
Superintendent Ken Weaver:
There were no students nearby as lunches had not started and the students who had physical education that hour were in the gym. The bathroom being used was a staff bathroom located by the fieldhouse (gym) or the end of the school where parents pick up and drop off.
The security guard was hanging the gun on a hook in a bathroom stall when it went off, hitting the ceiling.
I feel bad for this security guard as I imagine he feels awful about the incident. I mean, we're all human and accidents happen. It's just something that shouldn't have happened especially in this school district with all that's happened.
The careless handling of a firearm is inexcusable. The district will be reviewing all policies and procedures and we will ensure that all security staff understands and comply with the proper handling of firearms. The safety of all children is our top priority.
The security guard is a former police officer with 28 years of experience. He's been with the Oxford school district for the past five years.